Start date: ASAP
We are a new synthetic biology company called Evonetix that is currently incubating within Cambridge Consultants. This is a serious opportunity for someone who is looking to be a part of something from the start in a fast-emerging field.
Are you interested in joining our new biotechnology company located at a world-leading technical innovation company in the centre of the world-renowned Cambridge cluster of high-tech and life science organisations?
If so read on . . . . .
We are seeking an experimental physicist at postdoctoral level, ideally with a broad appreciation of engineering, to develop and execute an experimental programme to characterise and inform the development of novel instrumentation for DNA synthesis.
You will have gained a comprehensive knowledge and expertise in your field and be respected by your peers for your leadership and achievements. You are willing to take a hands-on, practical approach and work effectively on your own volition. It is expected that you will deliver high quality work and actively contribute to the on-going development of this potentially disruptive new technology.
Type of work undertaken by division/group
The role will work very closely with the engineering and chemistry teams to exploit the unique features of a novel chip technology to advance DNA synthesis.
- Development of experimental programmes, including project planning and milestone tracking
- Management of those programmes to deliver objectives within agreed cost and time constraints
- Identification and research of measurement techniques
- Modelling and simulation of both measurements and instrumentation
- Executing experiments and analysing results
- Liaising closely with a cross-disciplinary team of engineers and scientists
- Contributing to the overall development strategy
We are looking for someone highly motivated and knowledgeable, with experience of working within a closely-knit, cross-disciplinary team and who is used to meeting challenging and rewarding developmental milestones. You will possess excellent communication skills and have a positive attitude and a strong focus on delivery.
In addition, you should have:
- A PhD in physics, engineering or a related field
- A desire and passion to work for a start up company
- Direct experience of developing and participating in experimental programmes
- A strong understanding of various optical measurement techniques; of particular relevance would be fluorescence and confocal microscopy
- Broad understanding of engineering, including electronics, software, mechanics and fluidics
- Excellent analytic skills, with the ability to solve real-world mathematical problems
- Experience of data analysis and simulation, ideally in a Python environment
- The ability to work in a fast changing and developing environment that requires continual enhancement of knowledge and skills
- Willingness to work in a cross-disciplinary team and understand the technical constraints of all facets of the technology