Start date: ASAP
An exciting opportunity to join one of the world’s premier product and service design companies, transforming our customer’s businesses through the development of state-of-the-art technology and world-class solutions.
Do you have a passion for leading innovative product development programmes using leading edge technologies and methods of working? Do you want to combine your market expertise and technical background in a range of sectors, with your creative and organisation flair? If so, then please read on.
To lead multi-disciplinary teams of world-class engineers, scientists and designers in delivering novel products and services to market for a wide variety of clients. For this role, we are particularly seeking those with a track record of delivering programmes with a significant software content.
The projects undertaken will typically be highly complex, spanning the entire product development lifecycle, from concept to manufacture. You will take full responsibility for delivering the agreed project objectives within the authorised time and budget constraints.
Type of work
Cambridge Consultants’ core expertise is in innovative product development. We are the development partner of choice to many of the world’s leading blue-chips, as well as the virtual development team for ambitious startup companies. We also undertake technology consultancy projects – from road mapping the future of a technology, through to risk mitigation and product launch.
Our Industrial, Consumer and Energy division (ICE) performs consulting, research and development across lots of different markets, including:
- Industrial – sensors, robotics and logistics systems for manufacturing and retail clients
- Consumer – smart dispensing systems and connected sensor systems for personal care, consumer healthcare, food & beverage and sports & fitness brands
- Energy – sensing & communications systems for downhole and subsea oil & gas applications and smart metering systems
- Defence – secure end-to-end systems for government clients covering sensing, communications, tracking & location, and data analysis
The work we do is throughout the whole product development cycle, from product strategy and front end concept generation, through technical feasibility and detailed design to transferring the idea to manufacture. The reason our clients come to us is because we are able to create systems that make a step change in performance, where technical innovation is the only way to achieve their commercial goals.
The members of the Programme Management Group deliver projects across each of these markets. Depending on experience, there is opportunity to work with the commercial team to define the commercial strategy in that market. Group members also contribute to, and lead, company-wide initiatives to deliver best practice in terms of project management.
- Developing programme proposals that meet our clients’ commercial and technical requirements
- Management of the delivery of those projects, solving complex, multi-disciplinary technical challenges, with particular emphasis on software led programmes
- Estimating timeline, resource, budget and key technical risks for proposal preparation
- Manage technical and commercial risks for both clients and Cambridge Consultants
- Building and managing the project team
- Reporting technical and financial progress, both to the client and internally
- Resolving system level discussions, requiring a strong technical background
- Leading meetings with clients, presenting and communicating ideas and concepts to all disciplines
- Taking the lead in ensuring that projects are run to relevant quality and safety standards
- Working with Business Development Managers in developing relationships with clients to understand their programme needs. This will include bid leadership for new clients and development of existing clients into key accounts.
- Mentoring of more junior PMs within the division to foster and development best practice programme management behaviours.
You will also support the business development functions, representing the company at sales meetings and external events. This role will require some international travel but is focussed on managing project teams within the Cambridge office.
With an excellent degree in engineering, or a relevant scientific discipline, you will have substantial relevant experience managing product design and development covering the full product development lifecycle. Other requirements include:
- Experience in managing multi-disciplinary development programmes, particularly those with significant software focus
- Experience of managing and mitigating significant technical and commercial risks
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Strong financial control – both in estimating costs, and in tracking spend against plan
- Ability to build client relationships, both during project delivery and when responding to RFPs (Request for Proposal).
This role will be subject to Security Clearance Vetting procedures
Experience in the following areas would be additionally relevant:
- Evidence of leading novel NPD (new product development) projects from concept through transfer-to manufacture to product launch
- A background in the development and deployment of analytics
- A track record of undertaking projects for the UK Government
- Direct experience in working within defined product development process compliant with ISO9001, or a medical / regulated development process compliant with ISO 13485
- Business strategy development or technology roadmapping.
- Good salary, based on merit and reviewed annually
- Company profit share scheme in addition to basic salary
- Pension scheme
- Life assurance plan
- Private medical insurance
- Travel insurance
- Disability insurance plan
- Free canteen – lunches and refreshments
- 25 days annual holiday plus public holidays
- Relocation assistance if applicable
- Excellent career development and training opportunities
- Flexible working hours
- Social committee
Cambridge Consultants is committed to developing its employees careers and has a flexible policy for individual capabilities and preferences. Promotion is linked to merit.