Start date: ASAP
If you enjoy varied and challenging projects where each day is rarely the same, then Cambridge Consultants could give you the environment you need. Would you like to use your excellent attention to detail, wide ranging experience in testing RF systems, and ability to create test scenarios for complex systems to be part of some exciting cutting edge engineering developments? If you have an approachable manner, and excellent communication skills that allow you to build and maintain relationships with the development team then the Wireless Test Group could be the place for you to boost your career.
The Wireless Test Group supports the Wireless Division within Cambridge Consultants. The Division develops products for a wide range of wireless applications. We have particular strengths in low power, low cost radio implementations in market areas such as telecommunications, healthcare, industrial and consumer goods. Innovation is our key ethos at Cambridge Consultants and our projects typically involve the latest technology and solve the most complex problems. We strive to provide technical excellence for our clients and regularly develop ‘world firsts’.
Examples of our work include the development of a wireless medical telemetry system for measurement of a patient’s vital signs, and a family of complex satellite communication devices that enable mission-critical information to be exchanged in remote areas of the globe. Our projects involve full product development – from concept definition, through development of hardware, software and mechanics, and on to production and release to the field.
Type of work
The Wireless Test Group is responsible for testing component level and complete wireless systems, both hardware and software, for all projects under development in the Wireless Division. The group works closely with the other disciplinary groups within the Wireless Division to deliver these services to clients, as well as to other internal groups. The role therefore involves close interworking with the wide range of disciplines within the entire company.
The Wireless Division’s work ranges from high volume consumer applications such as portable internet-based devices, through to professional high-performance systems including the air traffic control radios used to govern the US airspace. The markets that we address include telecommunications, healthcare, industrial, satellite, consumer and automotive. This breadth of wireless activity provides tremendous variety to our team members.
Examples of our wireless design include the world’s first cardiac patient monitor, an intercom used at the Olympic Games and within broadcasting studios, a Femtocell reference design, a number of satellite handsets & some key technologies fuelling the rollout of 4th generation cellular systems.
The RF Test Engineer will work with the design engineers to develop the test systems and thereby evaluate, validate and document the RF performance of our products. Specifically you will:
- Develop test plans based on top level product requirement specifications and engineering detailed design specifications
- Construct RF test systems using commercial test equipment and custom fixtures
- Create automated test programmes using Labview, Matlab or other software, as required
- Take responsibility for the version control of the test plans & programmes
- Execute test plans and programmes, collate test results and produce test reports
- Relevant experience working as an RF test engineer and/or RF test development engineer
- Practical experience of building test systems and testing early stage prototypes and final products
- Familiar with RF test equipment such as spectrum analysers, network analysers, signal generators, power meters, etc
- Familiar with RF test methods and standard RF blocks such as filters, splitters, etc
- Knowledge of standard RF tests such as receiver sensitivity, receiver noise figure, adjacent channel selectivity, etc
- Able to create and present test reports in a logical and accurate manner
- Excellent communication skills
Experience of general hardware fault finding and/or developing automated test programmes using Labview, Matlab or other software from initial requirements to production ready system would be advantageous.
- Good salary, based on merit and reviewed annually
- Company profit share scheme in addition to basic salary
- Pension scheme
- Life assurance plan
- Private medical insurance
- Travel insurance
- Disability insurance plan
- Free canteen – lunches and refreshments
- 25 days annual holiday plus public holidays
- Relocation assistance if applicable
- Excellent career development and training opportunities
- Flexible working hours
- Social committee
Cambridge Consultants is committed to developing its employees careers and has a flexible policy for individual capabilities and preferences. Promotion is linked to merit.